13 November 2006

today i spent two hours tutoring my brother in math. he is in college. he cant take any more courses in college until he passes this class. he cant understand how to add negatives. i am so afraid that he will fail it and give up and drop out and be like my mother but never go back like she did. i love my brother and i want him to be okay and graduate. he is not a student; he was not made to take tests. i was. he was made to make things. to make people laugh and clap and to make theatre happen, but hes gotten out of theatre and all he wants is to pass this class and finish college and just be doing okay and be independent. i am doing all i can but there is too much to teach and too little time and the wrong brain. i need more time. i cant believe im worried about anything when my brother has so much to worry about, just passing college, and his rent, and a job, and interviewing for another job, and the heat in his house not working. i will help him and it will be okay. he will graduate and i know he will be okay.

i cant believe i was so upset that ms wexler gave me an 88. whats so bad? i mean, im a little upset because she didnt grade the frederick douglass test, and because we dont really get papers back in there, but i deserved an 88. i didnt read the sun also rises, so i failed the test, so i got a B. plus, its AP. how can i be flustered over an 88 in AP when my brother passed standard math in high school with Ds and he is struggling so hard in hope of the distant possibility he will get over a 60?

we take life too seriously at white station. why should the effect of one test make me want to throw a chair through ms wexlers window? why cant we get out of this life of numbers and capital letters and listen to what is important? words and actions and feelings and dizziness. all of this is what we should be studying. lets study literature, ms wexler, not memorize events in the pages of books. lets learn to be thankful for our minds and not misuse them by fretting over little things like an 88 or by copying words from a powerpoint about proprietary colonies and the three parts of the constitution. lets learn something useful for the betterment of our minds, not for the betterment of our test scores.

i know i will never be able to live that way.

i was made to take tests and i cant stop caring about them. but i have acheived this: i have an 88 in AP english and that is okay. i will make up for it. i will be okay. it is not going to kill me. it is not okay to throw GPA to the wind and let my grades go to hell for the sake of an experience, but it is okay to get a B sometimes. college will understand. my friends will still love me. i will still love me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sara, i love you.
i got a thing in the mail from lakeshore about certification, so i am going to talk to my mom about it.
wait.
is it this weekend? cause friday night i have midstate auditions and i'm totally not sure why because i won't make midstate.
shit.

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

You're right.

What a wonderful time for you to say it.

And welcome to upperclassman-ship. I think realizing that it's all going to be okay is a huge sign of maturity. Plus, y'know, you can lord it over the freshmen and sophomores who are having minor meltdowns. (Between minor meltdowns of your own.)

I guess I shouldn't make fun, since apparently I let it get to me more than I know.

Hattie

Eileen said...

On the other hand, whether it is okay to throw your gpa to the wind for an experience or not is contingent on what that experience is. If that experience was moving to brazil with the love of your life and spending many happy years sipping coconuts and dancing the cha cha, I don't think a gpa makes any difference. I have a C and she hates me on top of it. Oh well.

Cadet Amelia said...

I love you Sara. So much. I am sometimes filled with self doubt when it comes to my school experience, but I know I am going to college. I know. And it wont be because of high school GPA (whiat GPA??) But it scares me when I consider the fact that I might just be totally dillusional. It has happened before.